Welcome and Introduction
Welcome to Consenses Professional Development & Teacher Training!
In this quick welcome video, you'll meet your instructor (Sally Taylor) and learn more about what you'll be able to accomplish by the end of the course.
It's so great to have you here. Over the course of the next 10 lessons we will teach you how to see yourself, others and the world in a whole new way and in the process we'll certify you to teach Consenses' Curriculum (a 10 Module (18-lesson) course) so you can inspire your students to use art as a language and a lens through which to better understand themselves, each other and the world around them. Here’s what to expect:
· PD Lesson 1 We’ll introduce ourselves.
· PD Lesson 2 We’ll introduce you to an ancient fable; “The Elephant and the Blind Men” which is the cornerstone of this curriculum. The fable acts as a metaphor to teach students empathy, introspection, humility and appreciation for those whose perspectives differ from their own.
· PD Lesson 3 We’ll introduce you to a game called “Essences.” This game will serve as a tool to excavate student’s perspectives and scaffold their interpretive skills.
· PD Lesson 4 We’ll introduce you to Consenses. What it is and how it works.
· PD Lesson 5 We’ll be introducing you to the process of translating one piece of art into another medium and you’ll get the opportunity to practice this skill.
· PD Lesson 6 We’ll introduce you to The Consenses Curriculum Material. This is where the rubber meets the road. You’ll be getting a birds-eye perspective of the Consenses Curriculum and exploring one lesson in depth.
· PD Lesson 7 We'll introduce you to how to stay organized throughout the teaching this course. This section is dedicated to the very important and sometimes challenging task of staying organized in this course. There are three tools we provide to make collecting student's work, organizing them and finally displaying them for your final presentation.
· PD Lesson 8 We’ll introduce you to the materials you’ll want to secure to teach this course and give you a little comic relief.
· PD Lesson 9 We’ll introduce you to the importance of bringing this SEL (Social Emotional Learning) opportunity to your community in the form of a multi-sensory multidisciplinary curriculum.
· PD Lesson 10 You'll fill out a final survey so we can improve and bring you even better content in the future!
We’re excited you’re here!
While this is a multidisciplinary course we want to stress that it is an introduction to each medium and not a deep dive into any one art form. This course will be giving students skills and tools to experiment and explore 7 different mediums and in the process, they will learn tolerance and empathy through “listening” to others, not through their words, but through various art forms. You do not need to be an art teacher to teach The Consenses Curriculum.
At the end of this course, you will be a certified Consenses Teacher, eligible to subscribe to and teach Consenses' Curriculum Course, exposing students to seven different artistic disciplines for the purpose of inspiring curiosity, encouraging self-exploration, increasing empathy and promoting the unity in your community.
Grab a pen and pad of paper and let's get started!
Optional: Before you start you might enjoy Sally's TED Talk.
Feel free to leave us feedback...