Consenses at Home
In a world that is fragmented and divided, it is often difficult for people to listen to one another let alone consider, relate to and appreciate the perspectives of others. Consenses' Curriculum offers participants a way to use art as a language and a lens through which to see themselves, each other and their world more clearly, compassionately, and expansively all from the comfort of their own home. Through the curriculum, participants learn tolerance and empathy through “listening” to others, not through their words, but through various art forms. In addition, CONSENSES positions participants to succeed in the world by building the skills needed to be collaborative, critical thinkers with curious minds.
Using SEVEN different art forms (photography, painting, poetry, dance, music, sculpture and spatial design) the Consenses curriculum promotes self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills and responsible decision-making.
Consenses is highly effective at spreading the message that everyone’s perspective is equal and valid, helping participants to appreciate in new ways, both the limitations and the unique value of their own unique perspectives.
How it works:
- You select a group of students/participants. Don't worry, you don't have to do any teaching. Ideal class size 6-24. Ideal ages: 10-90.
- All lessons are taught by Sally Taylor, Consenses' founder, via embedded videos within the portal.
- Your roll as "teacher," "facilitator" or "group leader," is to 1. collect your groups' artwork, keep it organized, re-distribute it to each group member from one module to the next and at the end of the course and 2. to host an on-line showing/exhibition where your group can delight in their collaboration, see from each other's perspectives, learn to talk through their differences and to listen to each other through the language of art.
- You enroll/pay for the curriculum based on your number of students/participants you have. (you can charge participants separately if you wish. We suggest charging $60-$100 per student.
- You send us a group email list. Each participant gets a separate log in from which they can access the curriculum.
- Your group will complete all creative assignments from their homes at the schedule and pacing you set (we recommend 2 lessons a week for 10 weeks).
- Each lesson can be completed in 30-45 minutes
- All lessons & assignments your group needs are inside their portal.
- Each module offers a lesson in a different medium for participants to explore their creativity through.
- Students interpret each other's artwork from one module to the next using other group members' art as a catalyst to inspire their own work in a brand new medium.
- You can choose to do the curriculum on your own (select single user from payment below). This is a shorter syllabus.
It's like a game of 'Telephone' played with art.
Get started now!
-Michele Price Burns
"The essence style that fuels Consenses and its chains have utterly altered the way I look at art, prompting me to consider each piece differently, boiling each down and understanding what connections I feel in a more complete way. I never realized the interconnectedness between so many people and facets of our lives, and so I say, truly, Thank You"
- Jackson, Concord Academy Student
"I found Consenses to be very inspirational and important – not just for art and music students but also for all students – and adults. Working together, listening to other people’s perspectives, hearing what other people bring to the table, using all of our senses in interpreting the world around us, and doing so without worrying if we’re “right” or “wrong” – Sally is making a program that speaks to each person and helps people grow both individually and together!"
- Kristen Belloti, Parent